[meteorite-list] Meteor Explodes Over Colorado

Ron Baalke baalke at zagami.jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 8 16:50:24 EST 2008

Space Weather News for Dec. 6, 2008
http://spaceweather.com

COLORADO FIREBALL:  Last night, a fireball one hundred
times brighter than the full Moon lit up the sky near
Colorado Springs, Colorado. Astronomer Chris Peterson
photographed the event using an all-sky video camera
dedicated to meteor studies. "In seven years of operation,
this is the brightest fireball I've ever recorded. I
estimate the terminal explosion at magnitude -18."
Meteors this bright are called superbolides; they are
caused by small (meter-class) asteroids and are likely
to pepper the ground with meteorites when they explode.
Visit http://spaceweather.com to watch the fireball video
and contribute sighting reports that could help pinpoint
any meteoritic debris.