[meteorite-list] Ad New Canadian Meteorite for sale

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Sat Dec 6 17:59:27 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/6/2008 4:47:37 P.M. Central Standard Time,
meteoriteguy at yahoo.com writes:
Steve, I am sorry, but your comment than they  wont make profit at $50 or
even $100 gram made me almost fall out of my chair!  Lets see, a kilo at $50 gram
= $50,000.
Lets say half goes to the landowner,  $25000.00

I'm sorry Mike, I was not aware they found a kilo's worth and that they got
to keep a full half of what they found.

I assumed they only had a few (or maybe several) specimens that the two of
them were splitting between themselves and selling.

However, at $50/g they might only sell 100 grams worth anyway, and at that
rate, they would only have $5,000 cash to split BEFORE expenses.   While that
might not make them too much profit cash wise, it might let them keep  some
souvenirs for their private collections as mementos of the adventure.   Not all
dealers/hunters put 100% of what they find into retail inventory.   Some do
like to hold some things back.

Maybe the question should be asked of McCartney and Sonny as to what their
logic is for pricing their pieces where they did?

Steve