[meteorite-list] eBay's Spyware and Cookies

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Dec 2 15:50:00 EST 2008

There is no mechanism on a properly configured browser for a website to
download software to your computer without your active consent. If you are
using Internet Explorer (why would you?) it is possible to override the
default setting and allow websites to quietly load ActiveX applications. But
if you have your browser configured that way, eBay should be the least of
your worries!

Of course eBay uses cookies. Nearly every site does, and in the case of eBay
they are essential to proper operation. If you are paranoid, you can always
tell your browser to treat any eBay cookie as "session only", meaning
they'll get automatically deleted when you shut down.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com