[meteorite-list] NWA 3151 Brachinite Greg's thin section

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 13:20:41 EST 2008

Hi Dirk and List,  I am not up to speed on  the latest pairings or the going
price for each.  I respect a quality thin  section and this NWA 3151
Brachinite thin section just that.

Even  if it is terrestrial basalt, a good thin section is a joy and believe
me, even a  Lunar thin is a disappointment if prepared poorly. (I have a few).
  Most people do not have the contacts to get a fine thin section prepared
regardless of how much material they may have.

My passion is high  magnification meteorite micrographs.  I like to think it
is more art than  science since I am working with magnification far greater
than what would be  used in classification determinations.  Some times the
structures I see are  breath taking and not at all visible in standard methods.  My
high  magnifications require great thin sections.

My next Meteorite Times  article is on this slide so I don't want to get in
the way of Meteorite Times  viewings by sharing all the shots.  MT will be
posted in just a few days  but in the mean time, if any one wants one I will send
one full size 8mp image  as an attachment,  The image is taken at a
magnification of approximately  400X with a field of view of 0.25 mm.  Very cool
structure in this  image.  Hopefully it will make you want to see the rest.
(especially  the shots by Bernd  Pauli.

Tom Phillips

In a message dated  12/1/2008 5:38:20 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,