[meteorite-list] Peter's Stunning New Eucrite NWA 5230 paired with the Hupés' NWA 4883

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Wed Aug 13 14:01:17 EDT 2008

http://www.marmet-meteorites.com/id41.html

Peter writes:

"It's NWA 5230, a maskelynite rich polymict eucrite breccia! Analized
by Tony Irwing, who writes: We made a discovery of a small mesodiderite
clast in it. This is an important observation that adds to the growing evidence
for a common parent body for HEDDO and  MESO meteorites! NWA 5230
is paired with NWA 4883. TKW is 909 g."

Yes, that's right. NWA 5230 and NWA 4883 (11.9 gram slice in my collection)
are spectacular eucrites and not only because of the discovery of a small MESO
clast in NWA 5230. Here is a description of my NWA 4883 slice:

Endcut with a tan-colored crust + traces of glossy fusion crust. Highly shocked
maskelynite-rich, dense and complex eucrite breccia. TKW 610 gr. Purchased
from Greg Hupé, Dec 12-2007. The specimen has limpid pale bluish to colorless
maskelynite crystals - some even protrude from the exterior of the stone and there
are clasts of both cumulate and basaltic eucrites. An exotic feature (even visible all
over the crust!): elongated, acicular (augite?) crystals, average length 0.7 mm but
some longer than 1 mm and some are arranged in a star-like pattern.
Stefan Brandes likened this to a cosmic spider web. Troilite is present in some places.
A medium-gray angular lithic clast measures 5.5 mm in longest dimension. There are
a few tiny specks of Ni-free metal. One translucent maskelynite crystal (0.9 mm)
contains numerous tiny rice-grain-like milky-white crystals (length ca. 0.05 mm).

Eucritically Yours,

Bernd