[meteorite-list] A question about an iron fleck in NWA 2977 Lunar

Randy Korotev korotev at wustl.edu
Sun Aug 10 16:30:42 EDT 2008

Dear Tom:

All brecciated lunar meteorites contain some FeNi metal (<<1%), but
you may have to look hard in some.  (In others, like NWA 5000, you
don't have to look hard at all.)  The metal derives from impacts of
asteroidal meteorites with the Moon.  If the meteorite is an
impact-melt breccia, the metal probably melted and resolidified on
the Moon.  Regolith breccias, on the other hand, may contain FeNi
metal that hasn't been highly reprocessed.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/stones/nwa0773.htm

NWA 2977, however, isn't a breccia.  It's an igneous rock (a cumulate
olivine gabbro), if your sample is like mine.  Lunar igneous rocks
contain very small amounts of metal, but the metal is indigenous to
the Moon and doesn't have the composition of meteoritic metal.  I see
that one report on NWA 733 (almost-for-sure a pair to NWA 2977) did
mention "grains of Fe,Ni metal also occur in residual pockets but are
rare."  Another says "Metal grains occur in very small masses with
troilite and are Ni-rich (55.5 wt.% Ni, 40.9% Fe, 1.5% Co, 0.03%
P)."  That composition isn't meteoritic (in meteorites, the Ni/Co
ratio is nearly always in the 10-24 range).

When you say "The thin [section] is polished to 1/4 micron," do you
mean the section is only 1/4 micron thick (amazing!) or the final
polish was done with 1/4 micron abrasive?  In a standard thin section
(30-35 microns), metal is totally opaque, so I don't see how it shows
up in polarized light (?)  How does it look in reflected light?

Sincerely,
Randy Korotev