[meteorite-list] Fred's new (H3?) Chondrite

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Fri Aug 8 11:42:48 EDT 2008

Hello Folks,

I just purchased this specimen from Fred: 172.1g individual - 69 x 43 x 36 mm.
Fred thinks it may be an H3 chondrite and those many rusty stains where the
matrix is visible seem to underline the conclusion that we are dealing with an
H chondrite.

On the other hand, it is those big, grayish chondrule "packages" that make me
lean toward an L4 or LL4 classification (see my specimen photo #2) because
the last time I saw such "loose" chondrules and ones that are on the point of
popping out, was in my Bjurböle specimen and Bjurböle is an L/LL4 chondrite.

I may be wrong and maybe the fresh owner of the 117.4-gram individual would
like to chime in and share his impressions on her/his latest acquisition ;-)

Best,

Bernd