[meteorite-list] Congratulation to Tom Phillips!

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Sat Sep 29 15:23:13 EDT 2007

Thanks Paul and Geoff!

I was quite  surprised to win.  The Zeiss micrograph contest has some fairly
stiff  competition from people with access to the best equipment in the world.
 It  feels good to hold my own with 40 year old eBay equipment.

While a  lot of the images are computer applied color because they start as
black and  white, my images are just what you see through the eye piece.  No
color  alteration other than polarizers and retardation filters.

I must say it  was possible because of the loan of the NWA 482 Lunar thin
section by Jim  Strope.  This is a big deal!  He has never meet me and he sent me
his  Lunar and Martian thin sections so I could post images to the Meteorite
Times  Gallery.  Both Jim and Jeff Hodges have done this for me.  It has
allowed me to post images of material I would of never been able to  acquire.

Also, if any of you are looking.  The actual NWA 482 thin  section that was
used to win the Zeiss contest is for sale on Jim's site.
http://www.catchafallingstar.com  It is the highest quality and now is an  award winning slide.
Absolutely beautiful on the  microscope.  You will not be disappointed (as
sometimes happens buying  thin sections).

The Zeiss site with the contest winners is at:
http://www.zeiss.de/c12567be0045acf1/Contents-Frame/d6ea562032304237c125736100
3284f4

Thanks  again, Jeff, Jim, Paul and Geoff.    Tom Phillips