[meteorite-list] polarizers

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 11:57:18 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/23/2007 6:56:09 A.M.  Mountain Daylight Time,
marcin at polandmet.com writes:
Hi Tom.
I just read  Your january article about polarizers.
But I dont understand how You can see  chondruls through surface ?
Your photos are incredible, but I can't imagine  how You do that without
polishing surface to remove polished surface  (polished by sand).

When I look into stone through one polarizers nothing  happend, when I get
two then nothing happend, only screen become darker when  I rotate it. So how
did You do that :)

My polirize filters are nice  for most of TS, but maybe there are better ?
Any suggestions  ?

Glad you asked!

Hi Marcin and list members,  If the  whole image is getting darker when the
polarizers are rotated then they are not  positioned correctly.

Always remember:

One filter between the  light source and the sample.

One filter between the sample and the  microscope objective (or your eye if
no microscope is used).

This concept  applies to both transmitted (pass through) and incident
(reflected) light.

Only transmitted Xpol produces the vivid colors associated with Xpol
examination.

In answer to Marcin's question.  Those rocks  were examined as shown in the
first picture with no prep work.  The samples  were imaged as you see them!
The results are so important in examining an  uncut sample, I don't understand
why every one who collects meteorites does not  have a cross polarized light
set up.

Marcin's other question about what  polarizers to use.  On my Neophot I use a
Glan-Thompson style that produces  almost total extinction.  These polarizers
are expensive and bulky, you  don't need those at nearly $500 each (and it's
X2).  I don't however, like  the films.  The ones I have tried distort the
viewing with an irregular  film surface.  Particularly avoid the adhesive backed
films as they are the  worst for distortion,

I like glass camera filters.  What ever style  works fine.  Circular is my
first pick.  These are cheap used almost  any where.  Even eBay can be a cheap
source.  Quality glass camera  filters to not disrupt the image and the metal
frame often allows for  rotation.  About half the filters I pick up rotate in
their  holder.

Garage sales and thrift stores are my first hunting grounds and I  bought
tons (translate: a lot!) at $1 or less.  Yep $1 was my cut  off.  Except for a
huge 150mm monster I paid $5 for.  I haven't found  a use for it but I bought it
because it was cool.

One further note.   If you have a rock saw, the class filters cut just fine.
I have cut custom  sizes to fit inside microscopes and make for a near OEM
application.

If  you are going to my Gallery, please look at the Juvinas Eucrite Xpol thin
 section micrographs.
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/Micro_Visions.htm

Jeff Hodges  owns the thin section.  It was polished to 1/4 micron on both
sides.   This is a big deal as generally thin sections do not have a very high
polish, as  it is not necessary to identify minerals and structure.   I am
using  an aus Jena Aplanatic Pancratic Condenser.  This allows me to focus the
incoming light exactly on the thin section and then focus the objective.   The
results are stunning.

Please take a look and let me know what you  think.  You will be amazed.
Don't just say you have seen plenty of  Xpol shots before "What makes Tom's so
special?"  LOOK, it will be worth  your time.

Thanks,  Tom