[meteorite-list] Comet Holmes

Jerry grf2 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 24 23:44:30 EDT 2007

Good fortune shines on comet observers in Plymouth, Massachusetts. A break
of 15 minutes in the cloud cover allowed us an easy view of Comet Holmes.
Quite unstarlike but not the ordinary hazy comet. A sharp object more
planetlike than any comet I've seen. Probably due to its unusual brightening
at such an extrodinary distance from Earth. Easy naked eye object even
drenched in moonlight, but binoculars are amazing. Good luck on this one to
all dwellers in light polluted areas. It should be observable but its time
of continued brightening may be limited if the event that caused it is NOT
the usual solar excitation. Consider our comet crasher last year. The
interval of brightening was short lived.
Cool!
Jerry Flaherty