[meteorite-list] Coins/Medals/Tokens

mexicodoug mexicodoug at aol.com
Sat Oct 20 13:10:35 EDT 2007

Hello Walter,

Up to and including, one Troy ounce, I prefer saying "Mementos".

Medallion sounds like a big medal to me, a $5 word, so size does matter.
Drawing the line, if at all, is subjective to one's own personal reference
set (for me it is either a Spanish Milled Dollar 27.1g, US Silver Dollar
26.7g  or my favorite, a Troy ounce.  Then it sure would look like a
medallion.  The original Roman medal was silver and weighed only 2.3 grams,
so to each their own (that to me could uncomfortably justify forme calling
something 10g a medallion).

Medals (one buys for himself) sometimes are rated for the value of the
reward.  A 99.9% pure 25g memento has a silver value of $10.88, and if
Palladium electroplated in the sky as one very pretty example posted, that
is $0.15 to $0.20 worth of Palladium.  Brilliantly struck LARGE run one Troy
ounce (31.1g) attractive 0.999 silver bullion coins are sold to investors
for low prices like $15 ($13.54 silver value); bars I assume are somewhat
less.  So I personally call these mementos to keep straight exactly what I
am buying: nostalgia, gift or artistic appreciation.

Best wishes,
Doug