[meteorite-list] Free meteorite references, Other Papers

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Tue Oct 9 13:25:56 EDT 2007

Hi Thaddeus,  Thanks for the link.  I  read what I could and even understood
a little!  I won't try to explain  what I understood or you may realize I
really understood nothing at  all!   Really cool source of info.

Not starting a new thread,  but just adding to this one.  I was reading about
the CO3 DaG 749 and came  onto a paper written by Marc Fries and Andrew
Steele.  Marc is a list  member and has shared some insightful observations with
us.  Most recently  he provided an explanation of the color changes in the
barred chondrule image by  John Kashuba and shown in Mikes Meteorite Photo of the
Day.

This paper  explains using the Raman Spectrometer to study meteorites and
even  Interplanetary Dust in a non destructive way.   I have emailed Marc  and he
said the Raman could be used to speed up the classification of meteorites  by
providing a quick way to sort out such things as carbon (and more) in
samples.

The paper would be of interest to most list members.  I  couldn't make the
link work.  I used copy and paste and it seems #'s at the  end of the address
change.

If you Google

"meteorite co3 dag 749  marc fries"

His paper is the first thing that comes  up.

Tom

In a message dated 10/9/2007 3:03:57 A.M.  Mountain Daylight Time,