[meteorite-list] a comment on digging in the area of the crater

Michael Murray mmurray at montrose.net
Sat Oct 6 23:32:00 EDT 2007

I tried responding to Arizona Keith but again my reply dropped into a
black hole... Please forgive this duplicate post if the other one
ever shows up.

I wanted to comment on digging in the area of the crater in Peru.  My
concern is that I hope they don't put people down in the excavation.
Soft soil coupled with water can be dangerous due to the ease at
which the soil can slough in.   They might encounter a problem with
the atmosphere in the excavation as well.  They need to find someone
experienced in this type of excavation to help them with it so they
don't get someone hurt or killed.

Mike in CO