[meteorite-list] Chang's Moon

drtanuki drtanuki at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 18:45:12 EST 2007

Hi Doug and List,
  Thanks Doug for the interesting post as always.  The
rabbit goes by the name of Moon Rabbit (ŒŽ™\) or Jade
Rabbit (‹Ê™\) (aka Gold Rabbit (‹à™\).
  The Rabbit in Japanese folklore,ŒŽ‚Ì“e, is busy
pounding mochi (sticky rice cakes) in a traditional
mochi mortar; mochi is eatten during the Lunar New
Year (mochizuki- full moon) by Japanese to ensure a
long life.
  In Chinese mythology, the rabbit is given the task
of helping the moon goddess, Chang`e, make magical
eternal life elixer from herbs.

  For more about this:

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/nikko-gakko.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit