[meteorite-list] Oh Christ... any ideas anyone?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 16 12:07:27 EST 2007

Not a chance. I don't know what technology was used for the Earth image
in the first place, but it doesn't look recent. In fact, the image as
published looks like a secondary photograph off a paper original. If
that inkblot were an asteroid, what is it being seen against? What
imaging technology sees space as white? Most likely, the output system
simply avoids printing or coloring areas outside the Earth. That makes
the spot either a printing defect, or something that got on the image
before the secondary copy was made (or a deliberate fraud, considering
the source).

Also, an asteroid close enough to appear this large would be both
unfocused and motion blurred as recorded by any Earth monitoring
satellite.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory