[meteorite-list] Carancas Availability

Don Merchant dmerchan at rochester.rr.com
Mon Nov 5 19:02:17 EST 2007

Can someone explain something here. How much of Carancas is available to
collectors? I would assume that since it's fall in mid September (almost 2
months now) that there would be more availability in acquiring this
meteorite. I see several on EBay but I am leery when reading auctions that
state no guarantee the material is guaranteed to be of meteorite material as
they were collected by towns people and then sold to some EBay sellers. I
have not seen any big name dealer/collectors with any of this material on
their sites or on EBay for that matter and this after 2 months. I perceived
there was plenty of this material to go around and yet see very little being
offered. Any explanations to why this is.
Thanks
Don Merchant
IMCA #0960
P.S. If any (reputable dealers I know and know me) one has a 1 to 2 gm with
crust for offer please email me off list to negotiate