[meteorite-list] Call to check unclassified collections for the "Perfect Chondrule"

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Sun May 20 21:09:53 EDT 2007

Hi List,  April Meteorite Times, Meteorite  of the Month was titled "Perfect
Chondrule"  I wasn't saying I had found  it.  I had found a meteorite that had
all the types and sizes I could think  of and I wondered what would the
perfect chondrule look like.  The emails I  received referred to this material as
the Perfect Chondrule and the name  stuck.

We (Paul and I) have just posted nearly 100 images of this  material to my
micrograph Gallery.  Go to Features and the "Perfect  Chondrule"

http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorites-feat_frame.htm

They  are broken into categories including a group of photos of the whole
stones.

Some of you may of seen the images of some interesting chondrules  on the
Coast 2 Coast site.  Those images were of this material.

The  reason I am posting is this material was plentiful (I think) in recent
Moroccan  unclassified batches.  I saw plenty that I did not buy.  In fact, it
was so ugly and weathered looking on the exterior, I was disappointed when I
got  stuck with an other piece.  After cutting and examining some, I started
seeking it out and have acquired about 30 Kg.  I think this may have been a
big find and I was wondering if any list members are sitting on huge (or small)
 piles of it.  Maybe we could get an approximation of how big the find  was.

I have sent a few samples to be classified and I am not suggesting  self
pairing but this material is so distinctive in appearance in both the  interior
and the exterior, I think it would be interesting to hear what some of  you have
to say.

A couple of additional features are plentiful armored  chondrules, VERY low
magnetic attraction, and when cutting/polishing the run off  is black and not
brownish red like most.

Last thing, has any one recently  classified what looks to be the same
material.

If you have a pile of  weathered recently acquired Moroccans, look at the
photos and check your  collection.

Tom Phillips