[meteorite-list] Classification Labs

Impactika at aol.com Impactika at aol.com
Sun May 20 15:13:14 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/20/2007 10:30:56 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
rsvp321 at hotmail.com writes:
Thanks for all the feedback!

For the  benefit of the List; I received more than a few responses to my
questions,  and the clear consensus is that the way to go is through Dean's
lab  contact.

To reiterate Dean's post, contrary to how he has it stipulated  here:

http://www.meteoriteshop.com/class/classify.html
http://www.meteoriteshop.com/class/classify.html

it  is 20 grams *OR* 20% of stones smaller than 100 grams that is required
for  samples sent.

The fee required was unanimously said to be more than  fair.

The "free" labs in USA (no info for Europe) are badly back-logged,  so for
more the common stones a return could take them up to several years  -
fo'getaboutit!

Knowledge is  power!

Cheers,
Pete

Right!

And for even more knowledge and power, you might want to visit the IMCA
website:  _www.IMCA.cc_ (http://www.IMCA.cc)
Then go to the "Met. Info" page. You will find a list of labs, including
some in Europe.
And if you really want to know everything there is to know about getting a
meteorite classified, I suggest you read this Newsletter
_http://imca.cc/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=73_
(http://imca.cc/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=73)    It was written by Adam Hupe who obviously has had some
experience.

Enjoy.