[meteorite-list] Polishing Chondrite Slices

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Thu May 3 09:14:29 EDT 2007

Hi, This is Tom Phillips, the microscope guy,  which really means the
polishing guy.  I have to agree, Ghubara is both  tough to polish with out scratches
and when I revisited some polished slices I  had made a year ago, all were
good except the Ghubara.  It had to be  repolished before any scope time.

Perhaps some one can suggest a sealing  method that would work for your
sphere?

Tom

In a message dated  5/3/2007 4:27:37 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
marcin at polandmet.com writes:
I  just bought a Ghubaro and plan to have part of it made into a sphere,
>obviously ;), and the rest will be cut into slices
>
> I  would like to polish the slices and was wondering if anyone has any
>  experience doing this.
>
> I have a variety of belt sanders and palm  sanders but I don't know what
> kind of abrasive to use, is there a  specific type for polishing "stone
> like" material?

Be carefull,  becouse
primo, ghubara is hard and every scratch from grinding will be  visible on
polished slice.
secundo, Ghubara is one of the best ruster I  have seen in chondrites.