[meteorite-list] Mr. Kramskoi & Meteorite Offers from Russia

Notkin geoking at notkin.net
Sun Mar 18 22:46:16 EDT 2007

Dear Listees:

Greetings all.

Thank you to those of you who replied off-List to my post inquiring
about a Mr. Kramskoi.

The following information may be of interest to to any List members who
have received a recent offer from Russia about meteorites for sale:

1) A significant number meteorite dealers and collectors, around the
world, have been contacted by email by a person representing himself as
Mr. Aleksandr Kramskoi supposedly of Kramskoi Law Firm in Moscow. He
states he is selling meteorite specimens in order to raise funds for
the Kanatnaya Doroga Charity Foundation (supposedly an orphanage) in
Russia.

2) Mr. Kramskoi has offered for sale Lunar specimens from the Russian
Luna missions, and some very attractive Sikhote-Alins, apparently from
an old collection. He has emailed photos of these specimens to numerous
people. Mr. Kramskoi offered to send me 4.5 kg of Sikhote-Alins, "so
you can inspect it carefully and give a fair price for these items."
Once I agreed to receive the specimens for inspection, he then emailed
me an elaborate contract and asked for $800 in advance as a "contract
fee."

3) Mr. Kramskoi stated that after receiving the $800 from me, he would
ship the Sikhote-Alins by UPS or Fedex and that upon receipt I would
have 180 days to pay the balance. I found the length of time allowed
for payment to be suspicious.

4) A well-respected List member, and professional colleague of mine in
Europe, was offered the same pieces and the same contract, at the same
time, though for a different price.

5) My colleague has a reliable friend in Russia who has established
that the address provided by Mr. Kramskoi for his law office does not
exist.

6) My colleague and I both declined to enter into any form of
transaction with Mr. Kramskoi, and I post this information so anyone
else who is thinking of doing business with him will be able to form
their own conclusions before sending any money to Russia.

Anyone wanting more detailed information, please contact me off-List. I
can tell you about another great offer I received from Nigeria  : )

Sincerely,

Geoff N.
www.aerolite.org