[meteorite-list] Fireball in a box

debfred at att.net debfred at att.net
Thu Mar 1 21:58:13 EST 2007

List members, I am rather pleased tonight as I sit here in snowy Colorado. I have in
my hands a rock that I first saw streaking across the night sky glowing more brightly
than the Sun. My wife and I were returning from a friends birthday party after
midnight some nine years ago when we saw a fireball streak low across the
southern sky. We spent several days over the next few years searching for this meteorite
we were sure must be waiting for us. Two years after the fireball a five year
old boy found the first piece and the main mass of the Elbert meteorite. I am
fortunate to have obtained a piece of this LL6 fall. I am wondering how many of
you have a meteorite that you first saw as a glowing object flying through the sky. I know I feel unbelievably fortunate to have such a piece. I believe that three stones from elbert have been recovered and two of them are in the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. My piece came from the mass recovered by the now 12 year old Dustin Riffel. Regards, Fred Olsen, Denver