[meteorite-list] NWA 2965 EL3 High Magnification Micrographs

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 23:56:19 EDT 2007

Hi List,  I just spent the last couple days  tearing down my Xpol scope.  I
changed some key components and took it up a  notch.

Good timing, Jeff Hodges had some NWA 2965 EL3 (you know, the  fossil
meteorite that was generating so many postings) thin sections made that  were
polished to 1/4 micron on both sides!

I send a couple  batches of micrographs to Paul (Meteorite Times).  He hosts
my Gallery  which is a lot of work.  It may be several days before they are up
so if  you want to see some right away, just send me an email.

These sets are  taken in cross polarized light at magnifications of 700X and
1140X.  The  results are cool.  This meteorite has such a fine grain the more
usual low  magnification shots don't show much.  At a magnification of 1140X
an  individual grain dominates the image and the effect is quite nice.

My  Gallery is at http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/  Please take a
look if you haven't yet.

Tom Phillips   STARSINTHEDIRT