[meteorite-list] techical advice

Dave Harris entropydave at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 17 16:24:55 EDT 2007

Hi

One of my lumps of LDG has a very small (<3mm) chip in it - ordinarily it
wouldn't bother me at all, but it's left a teeny sharp pointy bit sticking
out that  always catches one's hand.

What would be a appropriate way to remove this point? My initial thought was
to carefully play a blowtorch across the asperity to melt it down and reduce
the sharpness, but would i end up with an exploded, thermally shocked
handful of glass chips?

Abrasives could also be used, but I'd feel more comfortable with a blowtorch
and being careful( used to  make glass labware when I was a kid - not too
successfully, but without serious accidents!)

Or should I just leave well alone?!

Anyone out there with experience with LDG?

Ta!

Dave
IMCA #0092
Sec.BIMS