[meteorite-list] Cali chondrite fell extremely cold!

Sterling K. Webb sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 28 23:06:16 EDT 2007

Dear Alex, Mike, List,

    Alex said:
> several posts about this on the list in the past...

    Mexico Doug has done more work on this than anyone
else I can think of. Go to the website http://www.diogenite.com/
and click on the item "Meteoroid" in the left-hand menu.
There is Doug's graph of the space equilibrium temperatures
for irons, ordinary condrites, and carbonaceous chondrites
for any distance from the sun.

    From the graph, we can see that an OC orbiting at about
the same distance from the Sun as the Earth would have a
"natural" temperature of about -10 degrees C. The heating
of ablation is too brief to penetrate far into the stone, and
the cooling of dark fall is likely to completely nullify exterior
heating (as Marcin said).

    Above the graph, Doug provides a link to his post to The
List where he detailed the assumptions the graph is based on,
but the List archives no longer go back that far. Mine do,
however, so here's Doug's full explanation:

Part I

There is no minimum size  to absorb energy from the Sun, even a molecule can
do it - heat of everything is  actually principally caused by molecular
vibrational motion in the Infrared  range under normal circumstances -
molecular
vibrations.  So that answers  the easy question.

On the temperature of a meteoroid traveling in space,  that is a complicated
question because the question is really millions of  questions in one
depending on what temperature you mean - and where you measure  it.

But I think I can give a shot at a satisfying at everything you  wanted to
know on the first question and weren't afraid to ask, with the  following
calculations you kept me awake doing.  You can make a lot of  interesting
observations here.  I'd add a Eucrite and an Enstatite  Achondrite, which I
expect the
former would not be closer to OC, and the later  more on the way to the
irons.
I guess:)

Distance Energy flux  <-------T (degrees C)-------->     T(Planet av. Surf.)
AU  W/m2            CC   OC  Fe-Ni   "ideal" note
0.31 14,214           216   195   378       227 Mercury (p) 167
0.47   6,184           124   107   255       133 Mercury (ap) 167
0.72   2,635             48    34    154        55 Venus  464
1.00   1,366              -1   -12     89          6 Earth  15
1.52   591               -52   -62     21       -47 Mars  -63
2.80   174             -110 -117    -57      -107
3.00   152             -116 -123    -64      -112
4.00    85              -137 -143    -92      -134
5.00    55              -151 -156   -111     -148
5.2      51              -154 -159   -114     -151 Jupiter  -144
9.5      15              -185 -188   -155     -183 Saturn  -176
19.2      3.7           -211  -214  -190     -209  Uranus  -215
29.7      1.5           -223  -225   -207    -222 Pluto  (p) -223
30.1      1.5           -223  -226   -207    -222 Neptune   -215
49.3      0.6           -234  -236   -221    -233 Pluto (ap)  -223  Kuiper,
Comets (ap)
50K      0.000001  -272  -272   -271    -272   Oort Cloud

(Table may not display well in text, but if  you copy it into excel and use
text-to-columns it should look  great.)

Part II

Assumptions & Discussion:
T =  [(absorptivity/emissivity)*(Energy  flux/sigma)*(a/A)]^(1/4)
where:
Emissivity = energy ratio emitted at a  temperature = compositional
property.
Absorptivity = energy fraction absorbed  at a temperature = compositional
property.

Temperature is proportional to  absorptivity but proportional to the inverse
of emissivity, i.e.  T^(4)=k*(absorptivity/emissivity).

The useful form of this law is called  the Stephan-Boltzmann Law:  Energy =
sigma*T^4 (S-B law constant, sigma =  5.67*10^-8*Wm^-2*K^-4)
That the integrated energy radiated from a black booty  is proportional to
the fourth power of the temperature.  This "law" is  useful to convert the
energy hitting an object into the temperature and is  really the scientific
key to
address your question  approximately.

Kirchoff's (other) Law:
For a body in radiative  equilibrium energy absorption = energy emission.
So we consider the very  plausible scenario that the meteoroid's position in
orbit doesn't alter  radically (it doesn't travel near light speed!)
Solar energy is mainly  provided for absorption in the UV-Visible range.
Energy is emitted in the IR  range (vibrational energy, the meteoroid
doesn't
emit much light  energy:-).
Meteoroide is spherical in shape (OK not generality, so could vary  maybe
50%
either way for example when a planar shaped meteoroid had verrry low
rotational energy w/r to the Sun)

ABSORPTIVITY = CC = 0.8, OC = 0.65,  Fe-Ni = 0.80, "ideal" = 1
EMISSIVITY = CC = 0.88, OC = 0.85, weathered Fe-Ni  = 0.28, "ideal" = 1

Assumed constant emissivities, but actually they  vary, for example,
decreasing somewhat (and then only by a square root) as the  AU's increase
for Iron,
and a lot for Nickel, though I expect the "weathered"  surface might
somewhat
mitigate this.

The temperature of a meteoroid in  space will of course depend on the
latitude, depth, it's cross sectional  exposure vs. overall mass
distribution and
distance to the Sun, just like any  other non-radioactive cooled body
whether in
orbit or passing through.

Part III

So the directional answer is best gotten to by a  bunch of assumptions and
simplifications, including that the thing is rotating  on a nice skewer and
isn't too big so that depth becomes an issue, which adds  some calculus for
all
those onion rinds.  So sticking to something say a  couple of meters in
diameter... Otherwise we deal with things like what is the  temperature of
Mercury
(Solar side, mass, backside, transition zone, latitude,  rotation,
greenhouse
effect if any, and composition which will affect what  radiation can be
absorbed
and converted into heat.  A simple way to think  about the latter is
thinking
about a microwave oven.  If the object to be  heated is made with lots of
water, it has a strong absorbance in that range, but  the glass door doesn't
(even
on the inside).  So a Tektite sent in orbit  very well could have a lower
temperature than a cometary water containing  carbonaceous type body which
in
turn creates nice effects in part due to these  warmings in the estelas.  An
example like Mercury, of one not rotating with  respect to the Sun causes
other
complications.  So best to think of an ant  in a spacesuit when asking your
question.  The center of the meteoroid will  be cooler at its equilibrium
temperature so wherever the ant walks or burrows  will depend on the
temperature.
Average temperature is a much easier  proposition, but knowing that wouldn't
help
the ant's survival chances at all if  he ends up in the Ant:-)arctic vs.
Sahara of the meteoroid.

If one  assumes that a meteoroid has no greenhouse effect and is made of
stone or  iron-nickel, and absorbs typically a full spectrum in the range of
what
the sun  mainly radiates for heating i.e. UV-Visible light, lots of
simplifying  assumptions can be made.  You can look at Venus and see what a
Greenhouse  effect does, or even Jupiter, which I suspect is somehat warmer
still than the  NASA page reference I used, because it actually puts out
more
energy than it  received that little stunted star...or figure out at what
distance
comets get  tails (snowball's sublimation temperature).  You get the idea:)

The  basics would include the following, I would think, calling the
meteoroid
shape a  sphere for simplification, which of course is not true but good
enough, also  that the Sun is like a Black Body at 5800 degrees K from
Wein's  Law.

Taken together with the idea that radiation from any source drops  off as
the
square of the distance from the source. (Which is understandable by  knowing
that the surface area of a sphere, ie, non-directional emmiting source,
4*Pi*r^2 increases by the square of the radius.), you can get a handle on
temperature caused by the Sun on objects floating in the Solar System.  And
in the
case of the meteroid, we only get a quarter of the total area exposed to
the
Sun in the simplified case of a spherical meteoroid (area sphere = 4*pi*r^2
vs.
great circle exposed = pi*r^2, a factor of 1/4).

Using the two laws  in a numer of ways, but sparing the the tedious math,
the
Sun's photosphere  ("surface") clocks at near 5800 degrees K being basically
a heat source  (150,000,000 km from earth minus Sun's radius, aww lets just
say the center of  the Sun since we can then measure in AU and are not
dealing
generally with the  inner Solar System to make a huge difference with the
Sun's
700,000 km or so  radius.  Using the inverse square law then you get the
energies in my table  I gave you.

Then, I derived the temperature in the above table (all in an  excel
spreadsheet) using the Stephan-Boltzmann Law, for you with this exact
formula:
T = [R/sigma*(a/e)*(areacrosssec/areatot)*(1/R^2)]^(1/4)
and  substituded the differewnt absorptivities and emissivities...presto, a
solar  meteorite thermometer.  You can graph them too and it is easy to look
at,  but I couldn't figure out how to graph in plain text for the list:)

[End of Doug's explanation]

Sterling K. Webb