[meteorite-list] Cali chondrite fell extremely cold!

PolandMET marcin at polandmet.com
Sat Jul 28 21:59:04 EDT 2007

> Ok, here is a good starting discussion topic for this
> meteorite fall.
> We had  people in two of the four homes hit who picked
> up the meteorites within seconds of the impact.
> Cali#003 and Cali#004. Both people said that the
> pieces were very cold, so cold they quickly put them
> down. These people live near the equator, so the
> meteorites must have been quite cold.
> How many other meteorites have been reported to be
> very cold? I know that Hvittis and St Michel if I
> recall were said to have frost on them almost
> immediately after the fall, is that correct?
> Michael

hmm, I think they was cold becouse of falling down from higher layers of
atmosphere (dark flight) than becouse they still own a cold from space.
While this small specimens divide from a bolide they still got time to form
good crust so they must be hot or even little warm. Then they stop forming
crust and start this "dark flight" from a altitude of 20-30? km and there
are alvays extremely cold. If we add to this freeze wind factor we get very
cold meteorite.
Also if there was for example +30*C in Cali then even 0*C stone will be
"very cold" to person.
Im thinking correct ? Heh thats my imaginations at 4:00am
good night

http://www.Meteoryt.net             marcin at meteoryt.net
http://www.PolandMET.com       marcin at polandmet.com
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com      GSM +48(607)535 195