[meteorite-list] NWA 1685 - shiny black crust

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Fri Jul 20 15:28:43 EDT 2007

Steve wrote:

"With this on going fascination with nwa 1685, has anyone come up with
a reason why this meteorite has such a shiny black crust vs. a regular nwa's
crust? I am wondering if this has been discussed."

Hi Steve and List,

As far as I know it has been mentioned but not really discussed. One possible
explanation might be a relatively high calcium and iron content (this is what
produces the wet-looking fusion crust on eucrites!).

Bernd