[meteorite-list] EBAY Slag for sale

Impactika at aol.com Impactika at aol.com
Fri Jul 6 15:35:37 EDT 2007

Colorado is very rich in slag too.
For nearly a century CF & I operated a large smelter just south of  Pueblo.
There are still "hills" of slag all around it. And slag was found to be  cheap
and very practical to build the under-laying layers of roads and rail-road
tracks, it is solid and does not shatter in winter.
Result: it is everywhere!
And I am regularly handed some at local mineral shows.

Anne M. Black
_www.IMPACTIKA.com_ (http://www.IMPACTIKA.com)
_IMPACTIKA at aol.com_ (mailto:IMPACTIKA at aol.com)
President, I.M.C.A.  Inc.
_www.IMCA.cc_ (http://www.IMCA.cc)

In a message dated 7/6/2007 8:53:47 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
korotev at wustl.edu writes:
At 14:59 05-07-07 Thursday, STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com  wrote:
>I don't  know why this slag tests positive for nickel, but it  does!

People have been making iron and disposing of the
waste for  several hundred years in this area and
much of the US.  The most common  kinds of local
meteorwrong I encounter are hematite nodules -
iron ore -  that weather out of the local
limestone.  This stuff has been used as  feed
stock for mom-and-pop iron smelting operations in
the Ozarks since  the 1800's.  As Tom Phillips
said, the processes were not as efficient  as
today, so a lot of iron metal was left
behind.  People have  brought us all kinds of
glassy stuff with metal in it, one of which even had  the imprint of a  bolt:

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/m026.htm

Two  months ago a fellow came to my office with
the ugliest 60-lb chunk of iron  I've ever
seen.  He'd dug it up while "grub hoeing" in
south St.  Louis Co.  There was no smooth surface,
it was very rusty, and it was  full of
cavities.  It didn't "look like" an iron
meteorites to me,  but I have no experience with
iron meteorites that have been in the ground  for
100's to 1000's of years, so I really don't know
what to  expect.  In a post 2 months ago, Eric
Twelker said "Those of us who are  lucky enough to
have hundreds or thousands of meteorites pass
through  our hands possess a store of knowledge
that has real value to academics that  haven¹t had
this experience."  I agree, and I wish I had that  knowledge!

I neglected to get a photo of the thing.  I did a
quick nickel test, though, with one of those
nickel allergy test kits  and got a positive
result*.  So, I cut a piece off and analyzed it
for the Fe, Ni, Co, Au, and Ir.  Strange  results:

>Fe   89%
>Ni  600  ppm
>Co   62 ppm
>Ir    1  ppb
>Au   12 ppb

The object cannot be a meteorite because  the
concentrations of Ni and Co are 100x too low for
metal in any kind  of meteorite.  Yet, the
concentrations of Ni, Co, Ir, and Au are all
higher that I would expect for iron smelted from
iron ore.  More  weird is that the relative
concentrations of those elements (ratios) are not
out of line for an iron meteorite.  It's as
though the metal is 1%  iron meteorite and 99%
pure iron.  I don't know what this thing  is.

Similarly, a fellow from Colorado sent this photo
and a small  sample a couple of years  ago:

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/m122.htm

It is also  a a man-made piece of iron, but one
with far more Ni and Co than in any iron  oxide ore I've ever analyzed.

>Fe   90%
>Ni 2590  ppm
>Co  131 ppm
>Ir  <14 ppb
>Au   85  ppb

I don't get it.

Randy Korotev

* Note that the  dimethyl glyoxime [DMG] test for
Ni is very sensitive.  If it gives a  positive
result for 600 ppm Ni, then it is too sensitive
to really be of  much use in distinguishing
meteoritic metal from terrestrial metal. A
negative result should be helpful, however, if the test is done  correctly.)
Meteorite-list  mailing  list
Meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com