[meteorite-list] Exciting New meteorite material....Mokoia, Wairarapa and Alta Ameem

ensoramanda ensoramanda at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 21 20:30:32 EST 2007

Hi All,

Just had to share my excitement about this week...

Not only will it be my first visit to the Tucson Show, but I have also
managed to trade for 3 really rare and interesting meteorites.

First Mokoia (a few small fragments), but this is a really rare observed
'hammer' (Nov 26 1908 12:30 hrs) from New Zealand, not only that, it's a
CV3.2, highly reduced.  I have found a wonderful account of the hunt and
recovery, with pictures of the main mass and  a lump of the tree with
splintered wound from the impact...I wonder where that ended up?  See
the link below...well worth a read.

Also in the link is detail about my second trade....a 25g part slice of
Wairarapa Valley, New Zealands *'first'* meteorite find, an H5 found in
Wellington in 1863 TKW 5.9kg ( I couldn't believe the size of the end
cut that the institution I traded with had, here in the UK. It must be
about half of the main mass, full of metal with faint brecciation/melt
and regmaglypts on 2 sides!)

If anyone can locate a picture of the main mass exhibited in Auckland
Observatory I would be most grateful...I found one once last year but
cant seem to now!

http://rsnz.natlib.govt.nz/volume/rsnz_42/rsnz_42_00_001870.html

Finally a topical one... Alta ameem, a beautiful light grey LL5. It
assaulted Iraq, just 100 miles north of Baghdad back on August 20th
1977, 30 years ago this summer (19g aquired).  An observed fall with
many accounts and recovered reasonably quickly...my piece seems really
fresh although no fusion crust present...probably because the locals
broke up the main mass and shared it out, estimated at 30kg and only 6kg
was finally recovered.  This is full of wonderful metamorphic crystals,
silver and brassy shocked metal fragments, black glassy dots...I need to
get it under the microscope and get some shots.

The next link gives a good account of its mineralogy.

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?1978Metic..13..257A&data_type=PDF_HIGH&type=PRINTER&filetype=.pdf

I will try and add these next links to photobucket shots I have uploaded
of the 3 trades.  I hope this works as this is the first time I have
tried it.  If it does I will try and image the Mokoia....that will be
much more difficult as very fragile.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/LaburnumStudios/MokoiaJarandLabel.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/LaburnumStudios/WairarapaSlice.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/LaburnumStudios/WairarapaCut.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/LaburnumStudios/WairarapaRegs.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/LaburnumStudios/AltaAmeemLL5.jpg

Finally....I had considered bringing some to Tucson but I am still
wondering about transporting meteorite material by air from the UK
through the USA,  (and back for that matter as I hope to buy or trade
some at the show)

Many of you must be doing this on a regular basis...what are the
problems that occur if small strange rocks are found in hand baggage or
hold baggage....do I have to clear it with the airlines in advance.  I
don't want to turn up at the airport and be told that they are not
allowed...and end up loosing pieces...but also worried about leaving
them in the hold. Only a few days left before we fly and I would be very
glad of any useful advice from those with experience.

Hope you find this makes a useful contribution to the list as I have
gained a great deal over the years from following all the very
informative strings over the years.

Looking forward to Tucson.

Regards

Graham Ensor Nr Barwell UK