[meteorite-list] north Europe Hurricane emergency

ensoramanda ensoramanda at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 19 19:44:31 EST 2007

Hi all,

Just been weathering the storms here in the UK...luckily the Midlands
seems to have escaped the worst.  The West was hit bad though...think
the death toll is up to 13 now.  Many towns still without power.  As you
may have all heard, after departing the UK the storm headed into Europe
and worstened again...most unusual...hope everyone out there is ok.

I spent today doing a trade for three samples of rarely available
meteorites.  I have aquired a large slice of Wairarapa, an H6 from New
Zealand (looks brecciated or shock melted to me) around 40g I think.
Plus several pea sized fragments of , a well documented CV3 fall in 1908
again from New Zealand and finally a fragment (about 30g) of  Alta ameem
LL5, fell in 1977 , about 100 m N. of the village of Humaira, northern Iraq.

I have photographed the labels and original notes from when they were
aquired in the 60's and 70's to show thier provenance.  I was told that
they resided at Newcastle University until recently when a deparment
closed and they were passed on tho the present collection.

I have managed to put Wairarapa through the SEM this afternoon and am
now trying to make sense of the images and data.
I have no experience in doing this...

If anyone out there has such experience and would like to see the data I
would be glad of any pointers as to recognizing the minerals from the
elements present.

I will try and find a way of posting some photographs of the samples and
supplying links to them if anyone is interested.

Meanwhile Tucson grows ever closer...just one week before we fly.

Hope to see some of you there.

Graham, Nr Barwell UK