[meteorite-list] Northbranch H5

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Sun Jan 14 17:48:48 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/14/2007 4:29:43 P.M.  Central Standard Time,
bernd.pauli at paulinet.de writes:

I've just received  an excellent small part slice of Northbranch from the
Hupe'  Collection.  It displays some unbelievable veins of FeNi, one of which

crosses the whole specimen.  I'm proud to have added this fine  Northbranch
to my collection.
Gary,

I first heard of the  Northbranch from the farmer who found it, and who swore
it was a fresh fall,  because it was up at the surface of his field one year
and it had not been there  the year before.  He said a magnet stuck to it, so
I dropped everything and  drove up to look at it.

When I got there, it was so weathered and  ugly that I really did not think
it was a meteorite.  It was not until I  returned home with a fragment that I
put on the grinding wheel before I saw some  metal flake and realized that it
was indeed a meteorite.

I went back up  the next day and bought it, then promptly moved it on to
Blaine.

I think  there used to be a photo in a "Meteorite Kids" section on one of the
sites with  my daughter Lauren with the Northbranch in the front yard.  I am
not sure  the photo is even online any more.

Anyway, it is nice to hear someone say  "excellent," "unbelievable," "proud"
and "fine" all in the same description with  Northbranch.  I would have to say
that is a first!

As I have said  before "Are there any *ugly* meteorites?  Does anyone have an
ugly grand  child?  Well, some are just more beautiful than others."

Enjoy the  specimen Gary,

Ex Astra,
Steve Arnold 001