[meteorite-list] Irons and fusion crusts

MexicoDoug MexicoDoug at aim.com
Mon Jan 15 22:16:15 EST 2007

Hi Gary,

Nice discussion!

I think there is a big difference between "fusion crust" for irons and just
a "thermally altered zone".

Fusion requires the crust to have been "fused".  At velocities over 3 km/s
the fusing material is the same material that is ablating, and as we know
very little remains stuck in flight.  (However a great amount can flow -
just look at aerodynamically sculpted iron meteorites!)  After slowing or
stopping some of the ablation melt is left and solidifies.  Thermal
alteration has never flowed to these high degrees and that is how I'd split
hairs; some level of structure is maintained at some levels - unlike the
ablativly free flowing fusion crust.

A while back when David Weir and I participated in this conservation, and
David posted a nice cross-section of a "typical" iron meteorite fusion
crust.  You can search the archives for the link if you don't have it.  It
was maybe two months ago?

Best health,
Doug