[meteorite-list] do meteorites fluoresce??

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Wed Feb 28 14:59:30 EST 2007

Hi Barb,  This is Tom Phillips.  I  take meteorite micrographs. My Gallery is
at  http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/    I have an aus Jena
Fluoval (a fluorescence microscope) that I use for thin section cross polarized
light examination.  I looked through many samples (200+) for even the  smallest
speck that would fluoresce.  I had no luck.

On a similar  note, I have on occasion, scanned many meteorites with a Geiger
counter and no  positive tests there either.

Just because I never found it, doesn't mean  it isn't out there so if you
hear of a fluorescing meteorite, please let me  know.  I would like to get a
piece.

Tom

http://www.aol.com.