[meteorite-list] Earthweek: A diary of the planet

AL Mitterling almitt at kconline.com
Wed Feb 21 09:33:17 EST 2007

Listoids,

In the current Earthweek by Steve Newman, he mentions a "meteor death"
in India (an event we have discussed here). This being an educational
feature for children, I decided to contact the author and have pointed
out the dynamics of a meteor fall and why it can't cause a death on the
ground. I realize this is nit picky but this is a syndicated publication
which reaches many people both kids and adults so I would like to see
them use the correct terminology being an educational feature.

Back when the list here started he had some wrong concepts regarding
meteorites and I contacted him and he was nice enough to acknowledge
them. However he didn't take notes and publicized incorrect information
a few months after my contacting him about the very incorrect
information he had before. It is my hope, if he mentions this again he
will make the necessary changes for his readers and we won't have to do
so much correcting in the future.

We all make mistakes and appreciate it when constructive advise is
given. I know I do and hope to see more "meteorite" information in his
column. Best!

--AL Mitterling