[meteorite-list] www.venusmeteorite.com - what are your opinions on this claim

Randy Korotev korotev at wustl.edu
Fri Feb 16 11:46:29 EST 2007

Dear Mr. Gregory:

At 02:34 13-02-07 Tuesday, you wrote:
>Simply put, what testing can definitively differentiate a rock from
>space and a rock from the earth?

Answer: The presence of nuclides that are the products of reactions
with cosmic-rays - nuclides that can only be produced in space (that
is, on a body with no atmosphere).  Do a Google search on "cosmic ray
exposure age" and there's lots of info.

>If anyone can provide me with photos of rocks with identical
>characteristics to the photos on the venusmeteorite.com website or
>the photos I'm enclosing, I will gladly transfer $250 to your
>account. Trust me, you'll be saving me a ton of money and we can put
>this baby to bed.

I don't want the $250, but I have seen photos of rocks (one in
particular) that look remarkably (!) like the alleged Venusian meteorites:

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/meteorwrongs/m079.htm

Randy L. Korotev
Research Associate Professor
Washington University in Saint Louis
Department of Earth & Planetary Sciences