[meteorite-list] MISSOURI, ILLINOIS FIREBALL ALSO SEEN IN KANSAS, MINNESOTA

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Tue Feb 6 13:13:34 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/6/2007 4:10:56 A.M. Central Standard Time,
sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net writes:

Here's the Kansas report (below). Interesting  that it
contains accounts of rumbling and popping noises when
the object  being described is likely 400 miles or more away!
It must be an instance  of the much-argued-about indirect
generation of meteor sounds,  electrophonically:
_http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast26nov_1.htm_
(http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast26nov_1.htm)

Sterling  K.  Webb

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/16630902.htm

Aerial  sight was a meteor
One mystery remains . where did the falling object end  up?
By KEVIN MURPHY
The Kansas City Star

Many  people reported seeing the round, orange
object or hearing a thunderlike  sound, some of them
while watching the Super Bowl on  TV.

Several people in the Kearney and Liberty areas
said they heard periodic popping and rumbling
sounds coming from  outside.
"I thought it was a neighbor shooting off  fireworks,"
said Richard Specker of Kearney. Others thought
the sound  was an explosion.

The rumbling sounds people heard, he said,
were  probably sonic booms.

Steve Arnold, noted for finding a pallasite
meteorite in Kansas in 2005, said pinpointing
where a meteorite lands  is very difficult.
"These things will burn out 12 miles or so
above the Earth," Arnold said. "If someone
is in Emporia and it looks  like it disappears
over the horizon, it could literally be in Illinois.
It's an optical illusion that it looks super near.
It sounds like you  guys got a light show a
dozen other states got."

Hello Sterling and List,

Someone do the math for me, how long would it take for noise
to travel from the Saint Louis area to Liberty Missouri?

If they heard something at the same time they saw something,
I would have to be a bit skeptical from that distance.  It might
be a coincidence or some active imaginations.

It is possible that the noise did occur at an appropriate delayed
time after the visual light appearance.

Oh, and by the way, I am not sure if the rest of Murphy's story
is correct, but I want to go on the record as saying that he did
get my quote right.

Steve