[meteorite-list] Fireball Over Denmark

Michael Mazur mjmazur at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 15:10:30 EST 2007

Another bad place to go hunting but, there was a fireball (2 actually)
seen over Denmark on the 25th of January. A bit closer to home, I'm
surprised that you didn't here about this one Bjørn. I had to rely on my
mother-in-law who lives just north of the burst point to tell me about
this one. Anyway, the article that I've translated below suggests that
the burst occurred over water, east of Sweden. A later article suggests
that the hunt is on at Møn and that experts are 'sure that the meteorite
lies somewhere on Møn.' I haven't heard any reports of sonic booms yet.

Info at (for those who read danish),
http://www.tv2east.dk/nyhed_vis.php?id=20059 &
http://www.tv2east.dk/nyhed_vis.php?id=22100

An a picture of the fireball from N. Germany (up-down streak just above
the buildings on the left).
http://www.nathimus.ku.dk/geomus/forside/ildkugle3.htm

Translated from TV2 East (pardon any mistakes/liberties that I've made
in the translation)

Fireball flies over Sealand
Many people saw a bright fireball early this morning.

Many people notified the Tycho Brahe Planetarium that they had seen what
an *ahem* astrologer (should have be 'astronom' but who hasn't had
someone call them an astrologer by mistake?) calls a big shooting star,
a so-called fireball.

"These people have seen a very bright meteor, or, as people commonly
call it, a shooting star. We call them fireballs because they are so
bright, you can nearly see like it is daylight," says Linden Vørnle from
the Tycho Brahe Planetarium.

Tove Byskov stood beside her car at Sealand's Odde when she saw the
wonderful sight.

"I thought at first it was an airplane, but flew much quicker and there
was a bright light that was very wonderful."

Astronomers believe that the meteor went down in the water east of Sweden.

The meteor was captured by an automatic camera that is setup at the
Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen. The last meteorite (in Denmark) was
found in 1951 in the Marselis forest by Århus.

  Michael Mazur
  Vigdelsvegen 523
  4054 Tjelta
  Norway