[meteorite-list] Samples

Mark Crawford mark at meteorites.cc
Sat Dec 29 14:17:27 EST 2007

John/list,

At the risk of sounding naive, why /wouldn't/ you pay for professional
classification?  If Bessey's fee of around $80 is typical (and I admit,
I don't know if that's the case), why would you risk lost samples or
interminable delays?  Why not just add an extra buck/gramme to the sale
price?

I guess what I'm asking is, what's the non-financial reason for lodging
with a non-fee-charging establishment?  Do 'professional' labs only
validate a limited range of types (eg - Bathurst don't do irons)? Do you
have no say over where the type specimen gets lodged?

Mark