[meteorite-list] Near Misses

Peter A Shugar pshugar at clearwire.net
Wed Dec 19 12:24:11 EST 2007

Hello list,
Stated in it's smplest terms, the near miss will preturb the oribital
parametersof the smaller body way
more than the much larger earth. Yes !!!!!
However-----
The only way that the object will come back to haunt our placid life here on
earth is IF the orbital parameter
 dealing in TIME is precisely the same time, (or some whole number
multiple), or a fraction of the earth's orbit.
Then and only then will we need to worry. I rather doubt the orbits of any
near miss objects have this particular
orbital parameter.
One last thought, I do not have the computer facilites to research this, but
a near miss by an object with an oddball
timed orbit MAY have the errors add up so that it COULD come back to haunt
us, but I doubt we will be around
to worry about it.
Pete