[meteorite-list] cut big campo

David & Kitt Deyarmin bobadebt at ec.rr.com
Sat Dec 8 09:37:47 EST 2007

First you have to ask yourself why you're cutting it and how you want it
cut.

Are you cutting it for resell?

If so do you want full slices ?

Do you want huge end cuts or all slices with minimal end cuts.

Do you want to slab it, then process the slabs into slices and end cuts?

This is just a few of the questions a cutter would have ask before taking
the job.

Contact me off list at bobadebt at ec.rr.com with your phone number and I
could call you to discuss this in more depth.

BUT if your just talking about the available ways to cut it I can think of
3.

The most conventional way is to use a band saw but for one this size you
would need a large band saw and it would be a long process and at machine
shop rates it would cost a fortune, so it could be cost prohibitive.  The
only way this method would be affordable was if there was someone like me
willing to do the work for a reduced fee and/or some material

If it's not to tall I could cut it on my liquid cooled abrasive saw but it
would be very work intensive which would end up costing a lot so this method
could be cost prohibitive unless I'm interested in the material.

I'm not sure if it could be cut with a wire saw but if it could it would be
cost prohibitive.

If its really big you could use a combination of the first 2 methods. Use a
machine shop to cut it into 3 pieces (with a band saw) that are easier to
handle and then I could process each piece but I would have to be interested
in the material to do the work.