[meteorite-list] Chondrule Formation

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 11:55:04 EST 2007

Hi List,  A very interesting post.  It  seems electrical discharge is being
seen as not likely for chondrule  formation.

I have seen chondrules with many types of structures that seem  to defy the
conventional view of shock wave formation.  Some have  intertwined tubular
features that resemble a barred chondrule in 3D.  SaU  001 exhibits these type
quite well but they are sparse.   Any thoughts  on the subject of chemical
reactions , migrations of minerals etc. causing some  of these unique forms and
perhaps the chondrules themselves?

We  see Widmanstatten Patterns form out of this process.  Could this "TYPE"
of  process be at work with dust clumps under much lighter pressure than the
irons?

Go to my Micrograph Gallery
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorite-images/SaU-001-Zoom-3.jpg     This link should take you right to the
image that provides a great example of  what I am talking about.  It is taken in
reflected light which preserves  visual details that transmitted cross
polarized light obscures.

I  would humbly argue this formation does not "LOOK" to be formed by a shock
wave.  I think many of the chondrule structures took a very long time to
develop and many were as a result of rapid cooling.

Tom Phillips