[meteorite-list] yet another thought

mexicodoug mexicodoug at aol.com
Wed Dec 5 00:26:32 EST 2007

Pete wrote:
"When the sun gives a large flare, what if the meteorite passed thru the
flame portion of the flare? Does the flare have enough energy to magnetize a
meteorite? The flare energy is typicaly 10 to the 27th ergs per second."

Jerry answered:
"Passing THRU a solar flare would put this meteorite precariously close to
the sun where it would probably "be absorbed" ."

Hi Pete, Jerry and Listees,

I wish I knew a little more about the CRE dating technique and limitations,
but it seems that this issue could be a real concern for many meteorites for
CRE measurements.

Going through a statistically huge bundle of these sort of energized
particles, even at 1 AU or more, might effect interpretation/level of
difficulty of CRE age (cosmic ray exposure age) determination for
meteoroids.  While a big outburst fom the Sun may be exciting to see every
few years, over an astronomical timescale hopefully this output variation is
not a problem and averages well into the background "cosmic rays" from
external sources as well as normal particlers in the Solar wind, which
hopefully is calibrateable for activity cycle variation through time.  Sort
or a scientific opportunistic use of "The solution to pollution is
dilution?"...Hope David W. or some other more knowledgeable list members
could kindly comment on this.

Many of these particles resulting from Solar Flares and Coronal Mass
Ejections maintain high energy way beyond Pluto's orbit basically just as
cosmic rays, but their density is quite low beyond expanding out from the
"flare" portion (where Jerry would seem to be right, and if he wasn't you'd
be sure to have an instant achondrite plasma anyway).

The gamma waves probably pass right through and keep on going, and the
biggest other effect would basically be like putting the meteorite under a
1970's vintage X-ray machine for a chest X-rays.

Best wishes, Great Health,
Doug