[meteorite-list] Meteorite in World Languages seeking help with another 168 languages

Sterling K. Webb sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 2 01:12:06 EST 2007

Hi,

    As the old saying has it, "I only know what I read
in the newspapers," or in this case the Wikipedia. The
Wiki URL quotes a set of accusations made in a recent
book and presents SIL's reply to those accusations as
well. I know no more about it than that, and I mentioned
it only in the interests of maintaining balance as those
accusations are not trivial ones.

    But I know no more about it than that. Since there are
only 450 or so languages with 1000 speakers or more,
SIL's goal, of course, involves the many thousands of
unique languages of smaller groups, essentially remote
tribal peoples. This wealth of languages is being lost at
a rapid rate, and who knows what clues to history is
being lost with them?

    The reconstruction of the relationships of the Indo-
European languages opened a window onto the historical
period from about 7000 BC to 2000 BC that is accessible
no other way than through the evolution of these languages,
and the same is true for many other language groups.

    By all means, ask them about meteorite terms. I suspect that
a crucial factor is whether SIL translators regard the Hebrew
word "barad" as meaning "hail" or meaning "stone" (in the
sense of a meteorite). All other possible references to meteors
and meteorites in the Bible are allusions rather than a direct
name. If they think "barad" means "meteorite," then there would
be a compelling reason for them to find a corresponding word
in the target language of the translation. Otherwise... it doesn't
come up often in talking about everyday affairs.

    By an odd coincidence, I heard an NPR story today about
a nearly extinct native language in Mexico. There are only two
speakers of the language left alive, both very elderly, and they
aren't talking to each other. I mean, they're mad at each other
and have refused to speak to each other for a number of years
now, thus depriving their respective families the chance to learn
and preserve the language.

    I don't see a way out of that extinction dilemma.

Sterling K. Webb