[meteorite-list] What's that smell?

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 18:20:48 EDT 2007

Hi List,  About a week ago I posted the  list about a meteorite nick named
"Perfect Chondrule"  I felt I had to due  to the storm created when Steve made a
post about it (the ugly black  meteorite).  I described some of the
properties that made me feel this  material was different.

Well I just spent an afternoon cutting and  polishing rocks.  I had a pile of
individuals about which I was unsure if  they were this material by just
looking on the outside so I cut them.   After a few cuts, I could tell if they
were by the smell when the blade dug  in.  The smell is hard to describe.  It's
not like something  familiar.

On my gallery I have  micrographs.

http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorites-feat_frame.htm

This  link is my Gallery hosted by Meteorite Times.  If you go to "Features"
and  then "Perfect Chondrule" you will see the material in macro (cut and
uncut),  close up and microscopic.

Any thoughts?  Do I have a carbonaceous  here?

Tom