[meteorite-list] What is the ugly black meteorite Steve posted about?

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 11:40:44 EDT 2007

Hi List, I sold Steve the 118 gr. ugly black meteorite he posted about
yesterday.  Who would of guessed it would of started this.  He only  has 118 gr of
what is still unclassified so I can't figure it was a sales ad he  was posting.

A little over a month ago I posted the list about this ugly  weathered
meteorite found in seemingly large quantity in several large Moroccan  lots I had
purchased.  It is very distinctive and would stand out for any  one who owns
some already.  I am not suggesting a self pairing exercise in  mass, but I would
like to know how much is out there and help list members dial  in on some real
nice material they may of over looked.  It has been sent  for classification
but results are not back yet.  If it were something  worth while, other list
members may want to compare the quantity they own  against the long process of
having theirs classified.

I expressed this  thought to Steve and I think he was trying to restart
discussion about this  material.

http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorites-feat_frame.htm

This  link is my Gallery hosted by Meteorite Times (The Meteorite online
Magazine, Not  the Gambling site!)
If you go to "Features" and then "Perfect Chondrule" you  will see the
material in macro (cut and uncut), close up and some very cool  micrographs.

In the hand, this meteorite looks just black, devoid of  chondrules, like an
IMB, but up close with Xpol light, the chondrules really pop  out and are
quite plentiful.

There are also some lavender colored glassy  chondrules that have raised some
interest because of the double terminated  crystals (I sent the best example
to Alan Rubin).

Magnetic attraction is very low.  I cut a slice the same thickness as  a
slice of a classified LL meteorite and put a magnet in between.  The LL  will pull
the magnet off of this meteorite.

I regret referring to this  material as "Perfect Chondrule" because it is
obviously self serving.  I  asked Paul (Meteorite Times)in a non serious way,
"What would the perfect  chondrule look like?" and offered some of these
micrographs.  In subsequent  emails, the name stuck and as it has not been named or
numbered, I continued to  refer to it that way.

So What Steve posted about was "Perfect Chondrule"  material and although he
said he could see no chondrules, there are many  chondrules!

Tom Phillips