[meteorite-list] NWA 960 Very Rare Anomalous Chondrite and crystals in the crust

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Wed Apr 25 18:32:18 EDT 2007

Hi list,  Meteorite Times has a column of  mine called Micro Visions.  This
last one was "Crystals in the Crust" (NWA  2371) and the one before that was on
NWA 960 Very Rare Anomalous  Chondrite.

http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/Micro_Visions.htm

I  recently received a thick sample (by thick, I mean not a thin section) of
NWA  960 from Adam Hupe.  It is an edge slice with crust!  It has the same
crystal structure, shown in the last Micro Visions, as in the crust of NWA  960.
 I have never seen this odd crust in any other meteorite before.   I have
examined hundreds of meteorites under the microscope and I always look at  the
crust features if there are any.

My examination in high  magnification reflected light exposes features that
would be likely over looked  in transmitted light examination because many
crusts are rather  opaque.

I will post images to the Gallery
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/  but that takes time and these  are new.  I just took them.  If any one is
interested, email me with  observations and I will be glad to send some new
micrographs of NWA 960  crust.

Tom Phillips