[meteorite-list] Metal Fragment That Hit Illinois Home Not A

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 6 11:26:36 EDT 2007

The possibility was discussed. There was some question as to whether
most vandals could throw the piece hard enough (from ground level) to
rip through a magazine-like book and then through a particle board desk
top.

The big objection, of course, was the angle of the fall, which should
have been near vertical for a meteorite (outside of some very unlikely
conditions). But at the same time, the angle seemed more vertical than
you'd expect for something thrown by a person. The idea that it was
flung high and far by a piece of machinery explains things nicely (a
possibility also discussed).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory