[meteorite-list] 73P in 2022?

Matson, Robert ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Fri Sep 22 00:40:19 EDT 2006

Hi Ed,

> Of course, SW3 is likely to provide us with some samples,
> certainly by 2022.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into your posts, but several times in
recent weeks you've mentioned the 2022 encounter with the
73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann cometary debris stream as if it
will be a certain, spectacular event.  Yet SW3 is not a great
comet, and given its penchant for fragmentation it seems to me
that it might completely disintegrate before 2022 rolls around,
resulting in a "dud".  When you say "provide us with some samples",
I assume you mean if we were to launch a spacecraft (e.g. with
aerogel) to collect samples at that time?  --Rob