[meteorite-list] Meteorites on the moon

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Sep 1 00:20:03 EDT 2006

True. Really big chunks might have a tiny percentage of the interior
survive. Of course, it isn't likely to be unaltered by the collision
(unlike small meteorites found here, which do have unaltered interiors).
And irons aren't so interesting. Are there stony meteorites that are the
product of hypersonic collisions on Earth?

Large impacts are as rare on the Moon as they are on Earth, but of
course any debris essentially lasts forever.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com