[meteorite-list] Living near a strewnfield

ensoramanda ensoramanda at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 22 10:52:21 EDT 2006

Hi list and Steve,

Only my second post...but been following the list and collecting/hunting
for 5 years now.

I live about 10 miles from the Barwell strewnfield in the uk...have
spent many hours walking around and searching in hope (once with Rob
Elliot for the making of a BBC Stardate program )  but with only a few
small possible finds...but not convinced as our climate isnt great for
the preservation of meteorites lying on the ground for over 40 years. I
keep hoping that a large chunk will turn up on one of the frequent
housing developments during excavation.

The Stardate program did confirm that I had made one find though. A
small fragment/stone from the west coast of Ireland which I searched for
after a fireball there in  early 2003.  Prof Mat Genge confirmed it to
be a meteorite when we joined him later at the NHM, London later to put
it through its paces using their SEM. (I have all the printouts)  A
facinating day, and such a thrill when my first find was confirmed and
telivised nationally.

I have had no luck getting any further with classification though...not
sure what the next step is!