[meteorite-list] Information and Behavior Consensus

Greg Hupe gmhupe at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Oct 15 13:15:55 EDT 2006

Dear Walter and List Members,

Walter asks if anyone is interested in reading about these "exchanges" in
which List members sometimes get in heated, educated, informational or
passionate debates publicly. I for one feel it is an important part and duty
of any List member to bring to light anything that is questionable,
unethical or in poor business tactics to light, publicly. Would you rather
have informed members keep their heads in the sand if they see something
wrong happening?

Walter asks members to email him  privately if anyone actually reads these
posts "...other than the parties directly involved..." in order to ask if
you want to be left in the dark and consider self-paired or partially
classified material.

I, too, am very interested in hearing all of your thoughts and would
appreciate your emails to me privately as well. Like I stated in one of my
recent emails, I am in Morocco and surrounding areas all of the time so I
know what is going on. I am in constant contact, usually by phone, with the
scientists I work with (and many of you). I see wrong doings at the shows
and inform the parties of what I know for fact. Some appreciate this and
others do not care, typically a Moroccan dealer and continue to openly make
their own self pairings from what has recently been released or will put $$$
in their pockets no matter who it hurts. This goes for some other dealers as
well.

I am not trying to police anything, only point out what I have gone through
in order to properly classify material that I offer to the meteorite
community.

So, please send me your thoughts as well. If you want us to stay silent and
let the wrong-doers do what they do, fine, I will do as you wish unless it
is a blatant wrongful act. I would also like to know why I go the lengths I
go through in order to have what I offer exhaustively analyzed, sometimes up
to three years, and travel to the places where the material is collected by
nomads.

I , like Walter, will keep all of your emails completely private and will
post the collective findings to the List in a single post. Your thoughts are
needed, no matter how constructive or hateful, will be helpful to get a
proper consensus. Email me even if you and I have never spoken, emailed or
met before. It is a time for change in the behaviors of the coat-tailers or
for those of us who expose them. If you do not speak now, you will not be
heard and positive change will not happen.

I respect your time and will greatly appreciate your input. Please email me
at gmhupe at tampabay.rr.com

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe